This is kind of a mish mash of book/blog stuff that I would like to address.
1. I have just celebrated my 1 year blogiversary (as they say). What a fun ride it has been! When the Mom Person first proposed the idea last summer I thought that she might be having heatstroke or something. I love doing things with her – just the two of us. But on the computer?! Who was she kidding? But we’ve kind of pulled our act together pretty well and have discovered a new bonding experience. Now she hates to go anywhere without me because we might miss a blogging opportunity! Who knew that our lives would come to this?!
2. I recently was awarded the Versatile Blogger award from the very talented Caitlin at http://the-room-mom.com/. Now Caitlin is one versatile lady. She blogs about teaching stuff and how to make the perfect teacher gift and how to throw parties and how to make exotic drinks. (I guess you need those after a school party!) Anyway, Caitlin, I thank you for this honor. I try to be versatile, but I don’t know how well I achieve that goal. I’ll have to try even harder now.
3. I found out today that one of our favorite local celebrities died yesterday. John Graves was a writer and champion of our local rivers. I talked about him in a post recently. You can read more about him and see a video clip here. He was 92 years old. He will be greatly missed – locally and in the book world. But he left quite a legacy.
I love this picture of Mr Graves. This was his dachshund Watty, the passenger, on his famous canoe trip down the Brazos River. You can click on the picture to read his obituary in the NY Times.
4. We listened to an interesting story on NPR today about Andrew Carnegie and his library endowments. I have been fascinated by this story for some time and I have a list of Carnegie libraries that I would like to visit. There are not a lot of them left. But if you are interested in this as well, here is a link to the NPR story.
5. And now I’m posting a couple of pictures for Mike at Mike’s Look at Life. Mike is a photographer with a unique look at the world around him. He takes some absolutely stunning pictures that you should check out. He recently took an interest in some spotted donkeys that he had never seen before! Imagine that. So anyway, these are for Mike.
And for anyone who might be interested in these lovely creatures you can visit the website for the American Council of Spotted Asses here.
Now, I think that that about wraps up all of my loose ends.
I wish you a happy weekend!